Monday, June 18, 2007

A Glimpse Into My World

An excerpt from my writing time yesterday.

Tell me what you think.
**********************
I’m running late as usual. I whip my van into the parking lot looking to the side for her car as I note in my mind that I really need to clean it up. Shifting into park I feel half empty water bottles slide against my foot and hear a soccer ball rolling around behind me. Leaning over I scramble for my handbag. It’s a tiny little thing stuffed to overflowing with all my essentials which really means a bunch of kid stuff.

I get out of the van trying to compose myself, think of a reasonable excuse for being late again and still scanning the lot for her car. At last I see it tucked over behind a tree. For just a moment I pause, pretending to be putting my keys into my bag, but really whispering one last prayer for this meeting.

One deep breath. Steady my hands. Slow my steps. Another deep breath. Smile. Open the door. Walk to her table. Look into her eyes. Take her hand.

“It’s good to see you again. It’s been far too long.” I say gently.
*********************

It's really fun to write. I like getting to sit down and meet my characters. I like getting to see where they go and what they do. I like being able to play it out in my head and on paper. Although this one was strange. They were surprising me.

It's sort of like playing pretend with your dolls when you were a kid. Only better.

I don't know that I'll ever do anything with what I write other than amuse myself and stay sane.

No comments: