Tuesday, November 3, 2009

A Food Memory For Myself

Most of you know, I love to be in my kitchen. It's a creation space for me. You may also know that I read cook books as my fun reading. Using them for actual cooking? Well, that's another story. I don't really do that. Sometimes I think it might have been a good idea, but I still don't do it.

So, what you're getting this morning is me trying to remember the details of what I made yesterday just in case we ever want to eat it again.

I started with roasting. I pie pumpkin, chopped up, seeds out, flesh side down in a pan @ 400. In another pan, I had chopped butternut squash, seeded and peeled, sweet onion, golden delicious apples and carrots. Those were tossed in oil and salt, roasted in the oven at the same time as the pumpkin.

Those roasted about 45 minutes. Then the pumpkin was peeled and put through the food processor. Next the butternut squash, onion and apple went through the processor. Those were all made pretty smooth. The carrots went through, but just for a chop.

I also added 2-3 sweet potatoes from the fridge that had been baked. Those went through the processor too.

Into the crock pot with all of that went water(chicken stock would be better), salt, honey, pepper, cumin and cinnamon.

After that cooked for an hour or two I added the meat. I took one package of sweet Italian sausage, removed the casing and fried it up in 3/4 of a stick of butter. I know, seems insane, adding butter to sausage, but it works. Then I dumped all of that, scrape the pan for the tasty bits, into the soup.

Let it simmer until dinner.

It sure did taste like fall.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That sounds so good! Yummy