Friday, January 28, 2011

I'm Catching Up, Catching On

Well, at least I'm trying any how.

Back in the fall when another year passed by for me, The Mr. and the kids gifted me with an iPod. I had serious struggles with learning how to use it. Honestly. I did. I couldn't get the music on, I couldn't figure out how to make it play and just felt pretty stupid about the whole thing.

I'd love to tell you I've gotten a handle on it and use it like a pro, but that's really not the case. I still use it like a techno-phobe. I can mostly just push buttons until it does something that makes me happy and then I don't touch it again.

I know, I know.

There are other areas of my life like this too. Just this week for example it took, well, the entire week for me to get 25 pictures off my digital camera and into the laptop, then into Photobucket. I will confess that I can't figure out how to share the silly photos the way I want to and in the end, gave up and emailed them.

Photos and computers aren't the only place I'm lacking. I can use my phone but in the most minimal way and it's really old. And until today, we only had a VCR. After all, I can barely work the remote to make the cable play Chelsea when I want a laugh, so what am I going to do with more?

Today, though, I broke down, gave in and bought a DVD player. Yeah. Our very first one. It only took me about an hour to get it out of the box and working.

So, you're thinking, after a good chuckle at my cave man ways, who cares?

Well, here's the thing. I've come into some appreciation for all this stuff.

Knowing how to text has grown a large number of my relationships in an amazing way. The whole photo thing is, well, kind of fun. It's pretty neat to have pictures of the kids and our friends. The DVD player? Well, for 25 bucks it bought peace and quiet and a very happy content Little Miss. See, she finally got to watch all her DVD movies. You know, the ones she could only watch if no one was using the laptop or we were using the portable player in the car. Lying on the sofa, vegging out to her fairy movies was her own personal little piece of heaven.

My heaven? Came right next to her. I sat at the desk with my laptop, writing and listening to amazing music on my iPod. Now, before you pat me on the back, can I tell you the music is one of the best gifts ever? Someone highjacked my iPod this week and filled it up. Like full. To the top. Filled it up with songs I would never have discovered on my own but that are a real true delight to me.

It's become a true pleasure to shove those little white pellets into my ears and drown all the stuff around me. The tv, the radio, the kids, the dog, reality in general. It's a special place I can sink into and turn on the writing.

It's like blinders on a horse, iPod in my ears, neigh.

I never expected that technology would delight me, but that's just what's been happening.

Now, it's Friday afternoon, find something to delight you. Myself? I'm thinking this is the perfect weekend to go in and stay in, coocoon if you will.