Saturday, November 19, 2011

Social Media Is Not My Friend

Social media is fun, but not always.

Sometimes it is bad.

Especially if you are like me and your words sometimes get away from you, or you think you are "unseen"

There is no place online that is unseen.  If someone wants to find you or find something you have "said", they will.

And sometimes, you have to pull back.

I have recently said some things, here and elsewhere that were not in my opinion, dangerous, untrue, mean, or anything else like that, but clearly I did not think it through far enough.

I like to think that people who know me in life, know me well enough, to over look my flaws and love me anyway.  That is not always the case.

Truth should not always be spoken.  Opinions should be kept to ourselves it seems.

I like to believe that somehow, I can say what I think without hurting people or causing them problems.

It is not the case at all.

I have in the last week, deleted my memberships to several different social media sites in hopes of somehow making things better and cutting my chances of doing it again in the future.

I am debating pulling certain posts on here, but it feels wrong to censor what I want to write or what I feel I need to say because of someone else being offended.  I feel horrible when someone else does it, when they can't write their own thoughts in their own spaces because of what everyone else in their "world" will say or think or gossip about.  Judgement sucks.

Isn't that the same thing I blogged about in the prior post?  What is it called when you can't say things without fear?

It will be a sad day when I decide it is easier to not write than to risk hurting someone or causing a problem. A sad day, but one that looms larger every day.

1 comment:

rufers54 said...

Problems and pain are a part of life. It is to our maturity and God's glory when we can work them out together, not run from them. Write what you want, feel, believe, but be prepared to engage in whatever comes next.