Monday, January 15, 2007

Soup and Snow

Time to get you all updated.
Thursday I had my surgery. It didn't go exactly as planned. I had to have a little bit more extensive work done. The plan was to put my temporary teeth back on following surgery. That part didn't go according to plan either. The swelling in my face is almost gone. My mouth is sore, but not awful. Ugly for certain. I have a post-op check with the surgeon in about a week. I plan to get my temporary teeth attached after that.
It should take about 6 to 8 months for a good solid heal to the soft tissue and bone graft. Then I'll be on my way to some beautiful new permanent teeth. Or at least, that's the story from the surgeon and the dentist!
Mom was here to help out and thank goodness for that. The Mr. came down with some sort of stomach thing and spent almost 3 full days out of the loop. He made it to the plane this morning and should be in Florida now.
I spent the morning shoveling out. I'd guess we got about 4 inches or so. I was too lazy to start up the snow blower. Big mistake. That was a lot of shoveling! It is still snowing. It was snowing while I was shoveling and hasn't stopped yet. We're not planning to leave the house until late Wednesday, so I won't shovel again until tomorrow. The Little Mr.'s were sledding while I was shoveling.
In the land of no teeth I'm living on a restricted diet. I know, big shock. Soups and smoothies for me. With a side of lukewarm coffee. Nothing too hot going into this mouth right now! Thought I'd share my new favorite soup. It's from Lucy's Specific Carbohydrate Diet Cookbook.
Tomato-Parmesan Soup
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups minced onion
3 pressed garlic cloves
1/2 tsp dill
6 cups tomato juice
2 fresh tomatoes, skinned and chopped
1/8 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 Tbsp honey
Parmesan Cheese

In a soup pan, heat butter and olive oil; add salt, onion, and garlic. Sauté until onion is translucent. Now add dill, tomato juice, tomatoes, pepper and honey. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
Serve topped with freshly grated Parmesan Cheese.
Other topping ideas: fresh chopped chives, cilantro, green onion or a dollop of homemade yogurt.

It's easy and wonderful. Ask me sometime about homemade yogurt. Also easy and wonderful. You'll never go back once you get started.

Off to supervise school. The Little Mr.'s are watching Savage Sam. The library only had the movie, not the book. They were thrilled. Sometimes it goes that way!

Jen

No comments: