Tuesday, October 28, 2008

And In Other News

Just the high lights today.

My little mini rant did run in yesterday's paper for what ever that was worth. It was more work writing it than it was worth, I think. The effort I put in, all told, wasn't more than an hour or two, but the length really kept what I wanted to say down to just a bullet point. The other thing, slightly surprising, seeing it in print in the paper, wasn't nearly as satisfying as I'd hoped. I'm sure that it was simply glanced over as is most of the daily paper. Hmm. Something to think on there, I'm sure.

Little One is doing well, but starting to show his Foster Care-ness. He seems to have a high need to be held and coddled. Some sort of abandonment issues, I'm sure. Little Miss is doing well also, but is the same as Little One. There are some issues that pop up from time to time that just make a person say, wow, that's an issues tied to the birth home. Good thing there's therapy.

Yesterday was a day that I'm going to count as a win. Over all, it was good. We had more good behaviors than bad, we made it through our lessons with minimal whine, we got our rooms cleaned up, laundry reasonably tackled and ate a real dinner together. We made it through Tae Kwon Do practice with great behavior from both Little People. Amazing. Really amazing.

Now I'm starting to think forward. Past Halloween. I'm starting to think about the next big events.

We have a Tae Kwon Do tournament soon. They are really something to watch, so if you're interested, let me know. It's a little bit of an effort to get the boys ready though. We haven't been faithful with practice lately, just too much life happening around here to get there, so now we have to hit it hard for a week or two until it's time. We also need to make sure we have our uniforms and boards all ready to go.

That same day is the black tie charity event for St. Marcus school. It's a really fun night, but it is black tie. It's a night I simply wish I could be a man. I mean, how easy is it to just whip on that tux. There's no deciding about what to wear or trying to justify shopping. You could wear the same tux for years and years and no one would blink, but the lady, no, it needs to be something new. Now, last year at this time, I was a whole lot leaner and had quite a selection of things in the back of the closet. This year, well, I know that even my shoes aren't going to fit. I'm trying to get in the mood to at least try on what's in the closet soon enough to leave myself time for the awful trip to the store.

I hate shopping, almost more than anything else. I'll even take dental work over shopping and for me, the queen of bad dental stories, that's saying a lot. But, this is black tie. It's not like I can pull out a nice sweater and a pair of jeans and head out to the event. Let's not even begin to think about all the extra stuff like hair and make up and nails and accessories. Ugh. It's just too much work sometimes to be the girl.

Then it's on to Thanksgiving. It's a big deal holiday in my family. It's one I really like too. Mostly because I'm a food junkie. I love the cooking and eating. This year should be special. It's been a while since my boys were healthy enough to eat anything and so to be able to make all the traditional stuff will be a real treat. I'm sure I'll be farming parts of it out though, as I've never done a Thanksgiving dinner while caring for 4 kids. Good thing The Mr. will be on vacation!

I'm not usually much of a girly girl, but here I am thinking about clothes and dinner parties. Wow.

In between all that we'll have about a million medical appointments for the kids and at least one more court date. There will be case workers and adoption workers. There will be school, too. I'm sure there's more, but I'm really good at blocking it from my mind!!

No comments: