Monday, December 8, 2008

Words, Words, Words

In an attempt to bury my head in the sand, I'm going to ignore posting about the obvious (trial is happening as I type) and use today's writing prompt from One Minute Writer.

One of the precious things in my life that has no monetary value what so ever is all in boxes in my basement. There are years of notes and letters back and forth between The Mr. and I.

Way back, in prehistoric times, we were high school students together. Me, a lowly underclassman and him, a "man" with a car. Anyway, we found over time, the written word was our link.

If you know The Mr. even a little, you know he is not a talker. I mean, even now, he is not much for spoken words, even when he's on the other side of the world and has been for days. Our phone conversations go something like this:

"Hi"
"Hi, honey, blah, blah, kids, food, dog, blah, blah, blah, laundry, behavior, school, blah, blah, blah..."
"Um, yeah, great. I love you. I'll call tomorrow."

Now, in that blah, blah part where I'm talking for an hour, he's dying to get off the phone.

It's just who he is. It's not an old married thing. Way back in the day when we first began he was that way. I'd call and he'd be quiet.

For me, a person who thrives on lots of communication, it was a major relationship glitch that I was anxious to find a fix to. We ended up with the notebooks.

I would write a note in a notebook, mine were pages and pages long, of course and then as the day went on and I ran into him in the hallway at school I could just hand him the notebook and keep on walking. It also helped the cool factor. Upperclassmen aren't supposed to date underclassmen unless they are super hot or easy, neither of which was me! He'd find a time to write back to me and pass it back.

Our notebook habit kept up until graduation. The Mr. chose to go to a distant college. So for a while, we were back to the silent phone conversations and the cool factor. Again, college frat men don't date high school girls.

And so the letter writing began.

We sent letters and post cards back and forth to each other almost daily for years.

Those are the things I have in boxes in my basement. Boxes and boxes of notebooks and letters. Post cards and silly cards and pages of nothing and pages of things I'm not sure I'd ever want my kiddos to read!

It was the start of something for us.

Into our marriage, it became email. Now we live in the land of text messages.

For us, it's wonderful. It brings us to a different level of communication. We communicate a lot more often and often a lot more clearly thanks to the written word.

So here's a challenge, just because I'm feeling spunky, write you lovey a special love note for each of the 12 days of Christmas and see what happens. It doesn't have to be Shakespeare quality sonnets, rhyming verse or even stellar prose, but it does have to come from the heart.

Sometimes the best words are clear and simple in blue ball point pen taped to the outside of a bag of straws.

Ah, Mr., who knew that our journey would take us this far?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yup! ;) - the Mr.

Karies place said...

But at least you have figured out what works for you. My dh and I also have decided that email works best. We used to be able to chat a lot, then we got married and continued chatting. Then the kids came along and slowly the chatting stopped and we'd do brief conversations. Now, 20yrs later, we're slowly getting back to the chatting, but we start with email. :)