Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Thinking Out Loud

Two verses have shaped my life in the last decade. One is Matthew 11:28-30. The second is Matthew 6:34. There are, of course, many many more than this, that touch and shape me, but these are two of my main fall back verses. You know, those ones that come to mind over and over when you find yourself in situations that boggle the mind or break the heart.

I'm having a day where I just want to stop. Now friends, don't take it personally or think I'm talking personally about you, some days life just brings you to a place that stops you. I'm exhausted of causes and dramas. I'm closing in on a day I thought would never come and still I hardly believe it's happening.

Just yesterday I came to a total stand still trying to fill out a form to register Little Miss for 4K and I couldn't figure out what name to list her as because I don't know how long it will take to change birth certificates and SSI numbers and insurance coverage and all that practical stuff.

Some of my friends in foster care land are having hard, hard heart breaking weeks. Foster care is that way. Sometimes.

I'm afraid I'm flip with my words, my tongue has a mind of it's own and clarity is lacking.

I have been able to wind my way through the last years on those two verses.

It's good to know (read memorize) the more standard versions of these but I'll share these more modern versions here.

Matt 6:34 Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes. (The Message)

Matt 11:28-30 Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me--watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with e and you'll learn to live freely and lightly. (The Message)

Now, I'm sure I still won't be clear, but I'll try.

To me, Matt 6 is very clear. It's a command from God not to worry. The Message version is not entirely clear that God is commanding you not to worry, but it is giving you a bit more of a concrete instruction. We seem to be programed to read through our Bible's and overlook those commands that don't have the 1 through 10 printed next to them. The NKJV states, "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is it's own trouble."

This applies to so very much of our lives. Now, it's not an excuse to do nothing, just sitting back and saying, "Oh it's okay, God's got it." No, not so much. We have to do our part, but doing our part doesn't include wasting our energy on worry. Put that energy into action.

The next verse is a reminder to me. It's a reminder that you don't take on more than what you are given. You need to keep your eyes open and look clearly at all that comes your way. A huge portion of what drops in your lap, isn't yours to take. It's not your responsibility. Now, that doesn't mean that things won't happen that hurt or things won't sneak up and take you by surprise and derail you for a day or even two, but then, you have to put it down, let it roll off and see that it isn't something that truly belongs to you.

Make sense?

Probably not, but take a week or two or maybe a month or two and study those verses. Then let it go. Knowing them, really knowing that those words are Gods words and plans for you should bring a certain relief, a peace. It makes walking through the day to day easy, the burden is light.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

Excellent post and truly truth! Both of those passages are foundational to trusting God, not just saying you do, but actually living, breathing, trusting God.