Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Flash Back Because It's Better Than The Alternative

I'd write to you about how annoyed I am with everything these days or how people disappoint me or my frustrations with myself or any other gripe I could think of, but those kinds of stories aren't that fun to read and although they may be cathartic and useful for me to write, they're bad blogging. Besides, I'm betting a big old portion of my crappy attitude these days has to do with it being the very last days of summer break for the kids. We're all ready to be back at the business of school.

Instead I thought I'd relive the past, go all nostalgic on you. It all started a day or two ago when a friend of mine was listening to some "old" music and day dreaming back to a time when everything was so much easier. Now, we all know that it is only easier in our memory with the context of how hard life is now and that in 10 or 20 years our difficult now will have become our easy past and our new now will be filled with challenge. It's the circle of life baby, that's all it is.

This week a bit of the '80's slapped me in the face. I've got a little girl who is so insanely into Bonnie Bell Lip Smackers that I feel 15 again. I started thinking back. Anyone remember those ones that came in the little metal boxes that clicked when you opened and closed them? You put it on with your finger tip and kept it in your pocket all day? It looked a lot like this, but had great fun flavors. And what about those roll-on shiny lip glosses? How about colored mascara?

Then there were the scents of the 80's. How about Love's Baby Soft, Sweet Honesty, Colors, Obsession, Beautiful, Drakkar Noir, Giorgio, Charlie, Sand and Sable, and Jean Nate? What about Babe, Tabu and Navy?

Moving on, the 80's was great for all things beauty and fashion. Kissing Slicks, Kissing Potions, Sun In, Coppertone, Noxzema, Clairol Balsam Color, Tickle, Breck Shampoo, Toni Home Perm, and Prell. Eye shadow pencils anyone? A different color on each end. Oh yeah. That's what I'm talking about.

We all know about the look. Hammer pants, Esprit, Izod, Polo and Jordache. Shrink to fit, 501's. I just saw an add for Tretorn's in a catalog yesterday. Amazing. How about K-Swiss or Rebock hightops. Roll those jeans, get some penny loafers or boat shoes, but only wear 'em barefoot. Hypercolor tee shirts and slouch boots. Leggings, long shirts and lace gloves. Hang Ten, OP, Swatch and LA Gear. Spandex and neon. Jelly shoes and bracelets. Big hair and big hair bows. Colored or designed shoe laces, ear cuffs, uneven hair styles, uneven ear piercing and multi-color hair. Crimps and spiral perms. Friendship pins and bracelets. Black hats.

So much of the look came from our music, because back in the day, MTV was king. It played music videos and we watched. It changed our style and how we danced. Thriller, anyone? How about the Go Go's, Culture Club and Wham!? Flock of Seagulls, anyone? Twisted Sister and Quiet Riot. Merillion. Bon Jovi, Def Leppard and Duran Duran. Prince, Hall & Oats, Madonna, Cyndi Lauper and Guns and Roses. Sweet Child O' Mine. B52's, Poison, Aerosmith and Motley Crue. Oh man, could I go on and on.

This was the sound track of my high school years.

1986
1. Walk This Way - Run-D.M.C.
2. Kiss - Prince
3. (You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party!) - Beastie Boys
4. Papa Don't Preach - Madonna
5. Nasty - Janet Jackson
6. Sledgehammer - Peter Gabriel
7. Livin' On a Prayer - Bon Jovi
8. Higher Love - Steve Winwood
9. Take My Breath Away - Berlin
10. Push It - Salt-N-Pepa


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1987
1. Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns N' Roses
2. With or Without You - U2
3. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - U2
4. Faith - George Michael
5. Bad Michael Jackson
6. Welcome To the Jungle Guns N' Roses
7. Pour Some Sugar On Me - Def Leppard
8. Sign "O" the Times - Prince
9. (I've Had) The Time of My Life - Bill Medley & Jennifer Warnes
10. I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me) - Whitney Houston


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1988
1. Fast Car - Tracy Chapman
2. One - Metallica
3. Fuck Tha Police - N.W.A
4. It Takes Two - Rob Base & DJ E-Z Rock
5. My Prerogative - Bobby Brown
6. Straight Up - Paula Abdul
7. Buffalo Stance - Neneh Cherry
8. She Drives Me Crazy - Fine Young Cannibals
9. Wind Beneath My Wings - Bette Midler
10. Parents Just Don't Understand - DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1989
1. Fight the Power - Public Enemy
2. Like a Prayer - Madonna
3. Rockin' In the Free World - Neil Young
4. Free Fallin' - Tom Petty
5. Love Shack - B-52s
6. Fool's Gold - Stone Roses
7. Me, Myself, and I - De La Soul
8. Back To Life - Soul II Soul
9. Pump Up the Jam - Technotronic feat. Felly
10. Bust a Move - Young MC

Oh yeah. Back in the day.

Share your nostalgia with us in the comments today.

No comments: