Monday, August 30, 2010

Time Stood Still

What can I tell you about the weekend?

It was fantastic. We ate fabulous food at Saigon Noodles, Pasqual's and Sardine. We also snarfed up some super delicious chocolates, wines and wow! super, super amazing cupcakes!

We strolled up and down Monroe St. and State St. We sprinted back down State St. though to get to our parking meter on time. Silly us, we got there and still had 30 minutes on our meter!

We stayed up stupid late and slept in. We painted our toes, because we're girls and we can. We saw some sort of transvestite or cross dressing fashion challenged goth and 80's neon sort of vampire person. Ah, the sights of State St.

We added up how many kids we have between us. There are 7 moms (we only saw 6 this weekend). Together we have 22 kids. The idea floated around once that we should plan a get together with all the kids and do a group photo of them all. I think it would be fun, but would involve a lot of bribes.

A group of my girls took me to my church on Sunday. It was an event. Right after I moved, the church moved. They built a big new building and, well, already filled it up and need to expand it soon. It was great and overwhelming and beautiful and bittersweet all at once. I saw a few old faces and shared a couple of hugs and heard an absolutely amazing sermon. That's a part of the bittersweet. The teaching we had was so very good and I miss it. Take a look at it here. It's a little long, it is a sermon after all, but well worth your time.

The best part was purely sentimental on my part. I haven't been able to think it, say it or write it down without getting all teary eyed. My girls, my girls, have got my back.

After all these years, all the space and distance and sometime silences, it was easy and pure and simple and still what it was plus more. It's the test and measure of true friendship. The moment where you all reconnect, have that hug, and realize your right back where you once were.

For all our laughter and our crazy day dreams of elderly ladies on cruise ships, drinking boat drinks and talking about days gone by or our plan to have a wing of a nursing home all to ourselves and make one meal a day be wine and chocolates, I sincerely hope we manage to make this a yearly thing.

That would be a gift.

No comments: