Wednesday, October 27, 2010

What Have I Done Now???

Waaaa!!!!

Can you hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth out there?

I am just realizing that I've signed on to do the impossible and I'm crazy.

Yeah, okay, so the crazy part isn't news to you, get over it and move on.

I committed to do the NaNoWriMo in November. Now, a lot of you are not following and have no idea what I'm talking about. It's the National Novel Writing Month event. Basically, in the month of November you will write an original novel consisting of 50,000 words.

Doing very little math, it breaks down to roughly 1700 words a day.

In my mind, I'm thinking, okay, whatever, I'm wordy, shouldn't be a huge deal.

I also thought, I should make an attempt to be a little prepared for this here thing. So I've spent a little time thinking about some different story lines, but not really even creating an outline. I'm not all that organized or disciplined. I did however think that it would be a decent idea to maybe just try for a day or two putting down 1700 words in a focused way to see what it feels like.

I sort of work by feel. I just know that I write without much focus on word count and so I thought it would be in my best interest to give it a shot.

Well. Here's the thing. It ain't working so well.

Twice today I've gotten to about 700/750 in my word count, decided the story was crap and dumped it. Now, I'm having a bit of a freak out thinking how on earth will I keep on working on something day after day, at a clip of 1700 words and all the while be having a mental conversation with myself about what a pile of garbage is coming out on the page. I'm going to have to work really insanely hard at overcoming a short attention spans and all the negative inner dialog that goes along with my life.

This may be just a way more stressful, crazy, insane project than I bargained for.

All that whine aside, I'm still feeling pretty darn determined that it's a project I'm gonna get finished.