Wednesday, August 24, 2011

You Did What??

I'm lazy.  Way down deep at my core, I'm lazy.  And I don't like hard work. 

I know that hard work pays off and gets me to where I want to be.  I know that.  But it doesn't make it any easier to get started or to follow all the way through to the end. 

Sometimes to deal with this, I set myself up with deadlines that aren't very convenient or likable.

That's where I'm at right now.

I'm in a class and have been now for far too long.  (see the lazy confession above) I have an assignment that I've been putting off for far too long.  I've used and had some great excuses for why I can't do what I have to do, but in truth, it's just excuses.

So now, I'm in it.  I knew that the end of August would be a restless time around our house.  Chicklet moved off to college--proud of you girlfriend.  The kids are in their end-of-the-summer-vacation-bored-out-of-my-mind-back-to-school-anticipation mode of crazy.  The Mr. is up to his eye balls in meetings, projects, travel and office politics.  Baseball took a short break to let football start.  Next month we'll have both.  Yeah, I know.  Little Mr. T. likes it here, but has some serious I-wanna-be-at-home-with-my-mama transition issues. 

I know what this kind of life stuff can do to me.  Especially when you add in all the getting it all ready for day one of school stuff to it.  So I dead-lined myself to keep out of a funk.

It's working in a way. 

I still don't like the assignment, but I have a dead line.  It's consuming a lot of my time and energy, both the thinking, the writing, the researching and the battles with my computer.  It seems technology is not intuitive to me and just never does what I would expect it to do or want it to do. 

I am mildly surprised to find that the all powerful and all knowing Internet does not make researching easier.  I still own the annoyance that a great idea does not equal an easily written article.  I'm still lazy, even with a dead line looming.

So when does this nasty article have to be in?  Midnight before the first day of school.  Yup.  I did that to myself.  Because nothing says have a great first day of school to the pack of little people like mom stayed up all night to meet her deadline!