Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Between Ideas

I'm between blog ideas, so today you get what I'm making for dinner.  This is as close to a solid recipe as I make so, just try.  Thanks to my friend, Lori, I had some great ideas to make this a whole lot healthier.

Cheesy Broccoli Soup With Ham

I chopped up a Vidalia onion and cooked it down in some olive oil.  I added just a tiny bit of butter to get that butter flavor, but I'm thinking you could really leave it out and be OK.  Next I added flax seed meal and almond flour to make the roux.  Next add in a carton of organic chicken broth and half a box of unsweetened, unflavored almond milk.  Salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste.  I add lots of pepper.  I let it simmer for a while.  Then I added some left over ham--the not so healthy part--I cut it up small like bacon crumble size.  I also put in one bag of chopped broccoli.  I let it thaw out before I threw it in the soup.  As it simmers I mush it up.  I don't love big huge chunks of broccoli in my soup.  I added about 2 1/2 cups of low fat sharp cheddar. 

There you go.  That simple.  Soup for dinner.