Friday, September 14, 2012

You & I

Friday, September 14, 2012
Do you think you begin more sentences with "I" or "you?"

This one is easy.  I begin most sentences, at least here on the blog with "I".

Why?

Because it's my blog and therefore my opinions and ideas.  

In conversations, most often I begin my sentences with "I" as well.

Why?

Because I'm self-centered and really don't think about anything but myself....no!  I start my sentences with I because it is a way for me to check my understanding and listening.  I hear what you are saying and to make sure I'm understanding I usually go to something in my own life that I think is similar to the whatever you are telling me.  Or if I'm being insane and giving advice, I usually do it in the manner of an example from my life.  I will often say something along the lines of, "when x happened to me, I did y" or "I think what I would do is".

I think saying "you" is pretty confrontational and puts people on the defense.  When someone is defensive they hear even less of what you are saying to them.  They are only hearing a small bit of what you are saying anyway, so why alienate them more.  And yes, I do believe this to be mostly true across the board even when it's the situation where the other person has specifically asked for my opinions or advice.  

No comments: