Thursday, February 7, 2013

writing prompt

didactic: 2. inclined to teach or lecture others too much

This is me.  Didactic.  Completely.  Most of the time.

Sometimes people try to point it out in a gentle or helpful way and yet the whole time they are telling me, they are panicky of the resulting friction that will come between us.  They are also waiting, knowing I will just go right back to being didactic in my explanations and justifications of who I am and how I am.

Might I suggest, if I bug you, stop coming back for more?

I like to think my didactic nature is about something other than hearing myself talk or being a snooty know-it-all.  I like to believe it comes from having lived a whole lot of life in 40 odd years and having been observant of it all.  In my mind, my "lecturing" is more of a long winded explanation.  I talk for a long time, with many examples in the hopes that you will understand clearly what I mean, knowing full well that what I can convey with words falls far short of what I have in my brain or heart.

I come closest to getting my head and heart thoughts out with the written word.  Often what comes out of my mouth is a disaster.


No comments: