Friday, July 5, 2013

Who Is The Better Liar?

So July may not have been the best month to decide to get back into the habit of daily blogging.

I missed on the 4th of July. We had a party, as always, and I had my hands plenty full with some of my small kids and general party shenanigans. I didn't like the prompt for the day anyway, so I'm digressing.

The prompt for today now, is something someone said in conversation:  "Christians are better liars than everyone else."

Ho! Ho!

Now there's a statement, don't you think?

Here's the thing, the more I thought about it, the more I thought, oh yeah, there is something there.

There is some truth to that statement.

I'm going to say that we couch it under the guise of grace and good manners, but Christians are liars.

I'm not talking about the embezzling kind of lying or the big scandal kind, I'm talking the little stuff. The lies of fantastic coffee cakes and your children are so well behaved when they're at my house. The lies of how much you loved the last book club book or how thrilled you are to be included in the latest potluck marriage mixer night.

These are the lies we tell with more sincerity and conviction than our non-Christian counterparts.

How and why?

Well, I suspect it goes like this.

The how happens when we trick ourselves into believing the why. The more we believe the why, the easier it is to sincerely lie. Why we tell the lies is simple really.

We simply have the idea that as Christians we need to be nice.

And we do need to be nice, but not the fake nice. We have confused love your neighbor and your enemy as yourself with be nice at all costs. We believe we need to be nicer than everyone else because we misguidedly think we're showing grace. We have a bit of a superiority complex too.

Our non-Christian counterparts are far less concerned about offending someone or hurting their feelings by simply telling the truth. When asked if they like the book, more often they will say no, give a reason and not worry if they have offended you or your religion or somehow harmed your tiny little feelings. They simply believe that there are no other motives, they have nothing to prove, they offer up their opinion believing that you genuinely asked for it.

There is no play to see who is more Christian by out nice-ing the others.

I don't know if I'm making this idea clear to you, but let's have a go at it in the comments, shall we?

1 comment:

rufers54 said...

Hear this and thought, "Wow, now that is just what Jen's blog said." It substantiates your point so profoundly. Listen and see if you agree.

http://www.desiringgod.org/resource-library/sermons/the-full-assurance-of-hope-to-the-end