Monday, September 20, 2010

Blog Carnival Monday

The challenge is to write a lovely devotional today on the topic of Simple Pleasures. There's a blog carnival going on over at Rachel Olsen's blog. Take a trip over and check it out.

Simple Pleasures is a challenge for me today. On most days it would be easy. It really would be. There are lots of things I delight in. Fall colors and crisp weather. Home made pasta and rich red wine. Books. Quiet. Hearing my kids say the love school. The single moment that The Mr. walks through the door at night. Music and friends and dogs.

But today...ah, today. The sweet pleasure of a fancy chocolate isn't even bringing a smile. Baby kisses are not making my heart light.

Today there is burden and frustration and worry pulling at me. Today my simple pleasure is a verse. A verse with a promise that I am not alone and should I get all the way down the the very bottom and think that I cannot bear more, He will bear it for me.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11: 28-30

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know those unsatisfied restless days. Thank God that even in the depths he is there and that he is the one who bears our sorrows. Thanks for sharing honestly.

Unknown said...

Jen, when I read your post about "simple pleasures" I didn't understand where you were coming from until I read all the way back to the day you found out about Little One! You are such a special person! Much better than I am. I am full of admiration and respect for you and your family. Thank you for the simple pleasure of praying for you and your family.

Kelly