Tuesday, November 29, 2011

So What's The Plan?

This is about the time of year I start trying to figure out the plan.

You know, The Plan, the holiday plan.

There are so many people to account for and thus about an infinite amount of emotions to try to handle, both mine and theirs.

It exhausts me.  It sucks my will to live.

Then there are the gifts.  Then the events.  The socials.  The cards.

When I finally wake up from my denial that the whole thing is almost ready to crash down on my head, I realize that I'm way "behind" in the getting it all together and meeting all the expectations.

We all talk a good game about "Jesus is the reason for the season" and "it's the thought that counts" and all that other stuff, but truth is, we go right ahead and set our expectations and then judge away at the outcomes.

We lie to each other and we lie to ourselves.

There are plenty of things I "mess up" all over the place.  From an outsider it would appear that I live the holiday season in a random way.  I sort of do, actually.

There are years, not many, but there are years, when I'm really excited and jazzed up for the holiday to come.  I have cards ready.  Gifts, thoughtful, personal ones, handled.  I have the outfits in order.  The house is all decked out.  The holiday cheer is rocking the house and on and on and on.

Then there are the rest of the years, the years when my Grinch reigns supreme.

What kind of holiday person are you?  Christmas Angel or Grinch?  Are you so into it you go right from Halloween to Christmas, letting Thanksgiving be a snack bar in between?  Does Christmas just sneak up on you and bite you in the ass?

See you in the comments!

No comments: