Thursday, December 15, 2011

I'm A Bad Santa

Well, I broke my streak last night, I fell asleep instead of finishing up my post.

It happens.  I fall asleep a lot.  At the end of the night.  TV on.  A little Pinterest skimming or YouTube browsing.  Blog hopping.  I drift off.

Sometimes I drift mid conversation.  Chicklet especially loves that.

Today's blog prompt over at NaBloPoMo is "have you ever given a gift that wasn't well received?"

The short answer is yes.

The long answer is yes, all the time!

I am guilty of giving "bad" gifts all the time.

It's not that I hate the person or have bad taste.  It's not that I'm a big jerk, although I get accused of that often.

Sometimes it's because I wait too long to go what I need to do.  I guess that's the nice way to say I'm lazy.

Sometimes it's because I live a little too much inside my head.  The gift seems like a great idea to me, and I'll have a big pile of reasons why but it doesn't translate.  It can be that it is something significant to me or something that I believe will be significant to the receiver, but in reality it isn't.  It's just a miss.  Sometimes I think it's part of a shared memory or inside joke or an inside moment, but in reality it is something just being a big deal inside my own mind.

None of that probably makes sense outside of my head, but it's the longer answer to, yeah, I give lousy gifts all the time, even though I have good intentions and my heart in the right place.

What's the worst gift you ever gave?



No comments: