Sunday, November 3, 2013

Change Can Be Good

I am doing the NaNoWriMo again. This is not news to you unless we've just met.

This is my 4th time.

Twice I have "won".

Winning doesn't mean money or fame or a published book on a shelf. Winning means I finished a draft of something I don't want to light fire to. Well, maybe not exactly, but I finished something to a place that feels like an ending and only needs rewriting and editing.

only

Sigh.

Anyway, I've learned a lot about how I write in 3 years of doing this. I know my patterns and routines.

I also know that every year I do this, I learn more.

It's Day 3 and I've already learned things.

My big take away so far this year is that I have been wrong.

It's good to write in a hole. It's good to put on the headphones, tunnel in and ignore the entire world. I like this. It's my happy place. If you know me well, this doesn't surprise you in the slightest because you already know I generally don't like people and don't play well with others.

It's also good to write in community.

I can't believe I'm even thinking it and it's only been 3 days so maybe my love affair with live people will fade, but this year, it actually feels fun to have people around on the edges of my journey.

There. It's been said. Community might actually be an OK thing.

No comments: